Thursday 10 September 2009

body form/dressmakers doll...

Evening all!!!
well things have been going swimmingly this week and all is right with the world!!!
Last weekend i was in tears of laughter and this is why.......
For the last few weeks have been having a problem with making dresses and tops to fit me perfectly.I always manage to find something that either is baggy at the bust or too small around the boobs and humongous at the bottom....so when my new "SEW!" magazine came i was flicking through it and found an interesting article on how to make your own body cast so that garments fit properly...so we took a deep breath and had a good long read...it took me two days to absorb what it was saying to me,but i wanted to give it a go...so Saturday morning i spent my final £5.00 on duct tape and a second hand t-shirt from a charity shop,and made my way home with my finds...i was grinning like a Cheshire cat...my son and hubs thought i was totally demented,then i explained my self and i honestly thought my hubs and son were going to commit me to the nearest mental institution...but they went along with what i asked them...
i stripped off all my jewelery and then put on the massive t-shirt..my son broke out the duct tape(gaffer tape) my son and hubs cut strips of 60cm lengths of tape and wrapped them around my body from the base of my bottom right upto my neck...i looked hilarious!!My hubs and son wanted to do a runner leaving me like that all day...believe me i know what the Victorian ladies went through with their corsets under their dresses,i was having a problem catching my breath the problem was that i just couldn't stop giggling the whole time which didn't help much either...
Any way the hard part came next...my poor son cut the t-shirt from bottom to top and was worried that he might cut me ...but i told him to go for it...and he did it in one go...it wasn't until he'd cut it off me i realised that he had cut through the waistband of my jeans...so my trousers were round my ankles as i desperately tried to wriggle out of this gaffer tape laden t-shirt...my hubs was trying to chase4 me round the house with a camera and there i stood swearing my head off threatening divorce if the camera flashed even once....he got off light that time bless him!!!
i re-sealed up the back of the t-shirt,stuffed the arms and breasts with toy stuffing and used old cushions and newspaper to get it right...to be honest i had no idea i was that flipping fat!!!so with a bit of disappointment at my shape,and excitement that i might actually be able to get a garment to fit i inserted a coat hanger and made a start on a dress i am designing myself...its a cross over side tied dress in white and blue paisley..and its a case of so far so good....have done the top part and am currently pinned and attaching the skirt which is also a wrap round .....its been a whole new revelation to me ...and i am learning fast about how to do things and especially what darts are for!!!!
this week have had several mothers turn up and ask me for help turning trousers up before the kids go back to school...i don't mind ,but because the latest fashion is for kids trousers to drag on the floor and get ruined with the constant dragging on the ground...i have devised a way of turning up the trousers without making them too short and so that the seams can't be broken open....but i don't mind the more experience i can get the better!!this week i have turned up about 20 pairs of trousers...all double stitched and double seamed for better wear and tear..and d'you know what ? my grandmother is right....there is money to be made from clothes adjusting and altering..maybe that's where i ought to concentrate my efforts for the moment.....it might be a way in for me.....Oh its just I'm sick of always going without..i know my kids will and always will come first but sometimes i just get sick of being last..and sick of having no money at the end of the week,i would love to find a way into making a little money now and again...i don't want much just £10.00 per week extra would go down rather well at the minute.....but in the meantime i shall keep practising....................................................

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on making your own body cast! I must confess I have been chickening out of doing my own for quite some time, despite the fact that I really want to.
    Plus I don't think any of us want to know what shape our bodies really are. :)
    Your post made me laugh though. That sounds like the perfect comedy sketch! It might even motivate me to get going with making my own...who knows?

    On another note: the eternal struggle of the trouser cuff. A recent trick I stumbled upon while being in a hurry when shortening my jeans is to leave half a centimetre of the original bottom of the jeans hanging beneath your new seam by folding it.
    This only works if the alteration isn't huge. But what I have found is that you can barely see it, plus the original trouser seam gets all the wear, and your new seam doesn't touch the ground. So you have the scruffy look together with a pair of jeans that will last somewhat longer.

    ReplyDelete